Friday, May 25, 2007

So the Halo 3 Beta is out...

...and frankly, I'm just no impressed. To be called "the best game of all time" by the many fanboys that are soon to come is a drastic overstatement. Not to say that Halo 3 is a bad game. It's anything but. However, it's not that big of an update on Halo 2. Now, those of you that know me understand that I loathe Halo 2. Passionately. You also understand that I think Halo: Combat Evolved stands as (arguably) the greatest console FPS of all time. Yes Mr. Bond, I said it. It's just not the huge leap forward Bungie had promised. The Spartan laser is freaking awesome to say the least. It's my torque bow in Halo. The equipment is pretty cool, but it's really not used that frequently. Even when it is, it just doesn't make a huge difference. The graphics look pretty good. Not next-gen good, but good nonetheless. But hey, it's still a beta. Also, people have been telling me that it's like Halo 1 and not Halo 2. So let's compare.

How it's like Halo 1:

1: No hit boxes. Praise the Lord. You actually have to shoot someone in the HEAD for them to die.
2: The rocket doesn't home in on vehicles! YES!
3: That's it. Seriously.

How it's like Halo 2:

1: That awful plasma pistol still takes away your entire overshield. This makes the new gametype VIP completely awful. at least it doesn't home as much now though.
2: Grenades suck. Terribly. If you throw them BELOW someones feet, they don't die. No joke.
3: No health, all shield. Not a big deal, really.
4: You lunge when you melee. Gay.
5: It's insane easy to stick someone with a grenade.
6: The camo is useless. You can still be seen a mile away. I don't want to look like a shadow, i want to be temporarily INVISIBLE. Since you know, that's what it is SUPPOSED to do.
7: The vehicles are gods...

That's all for now. But seriously, remake Halo 1, change nothing, even the graphics, and put it online. People will buy it. People will play it. People will love it. That isn't going to happen though, which means I'm still stuck with Lan parties. Oh well, I prefer my standard Xbox controller. It's more sensitive. Plus I rock at Gears. Nothing wrong with getting better.

Starcraft 2 is coming out soon. I've never really played the first one. I LOVED Red Alert 2 though. Oh, and make sure to click those two links. They're great.

Shadowrun comes out Tuesday. I am STOKED. For the people still on the fence, I BEG you to download the demo on June 6. I played the beta at my friend Cadillace's house. Download the demo if you don't buy it. Please.

My 360voice blog keeps telling me that I'm playing Crackdown. It lies. I just use it for the Halo 3 Beta.

That's it for now. Oh, and for the final say: If you like Halo 2, you'll LOVE Halo 3. If you preferred the first one, prepare to be disappointed.

I know I'll probably get heat for this, but what can I say. I'm an honest person.

3 comments:

Soupy said...

Nice review Stinger. You raised some good points, and I'd also love to see Halo: CE brought to Live...would make it awesome!

I have enjoyed my Halo 3 beta though. I haven't played as much as I'd like to, due to other commitments, but I have enjoyed it so far...but then again I did enjoy Halo 2. I only played Halo: CE over LAN a few times, and they were good times. But Halo 2 was still the prefered option, mainly due to the Live functionality that Halo: CE lacked!

Maybe one day though...maybe one day! =)

Soupy

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed the Halo 3 Beta as well, but it is not as good as I was hoping for, but then it is not the completed game either. I'll be getting it if for nothing else than to finish the single player story.

Anonymous said...

HALO WAS always awesome and will stay awesome for ever!!!!!

- www.GameGork.com